Re: Residence Halls Internet Bandwidth

"Dale W. Carder" <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 25 Feb 2014 17:10:11 -0600

Thus spake Vlade Ristevski ([log in to unmask]) on Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 01:24:34PM -0500:

> Total number of users in dorms?

Close to 10k.

> Total Internet bandwidth reserved for residence halls (to your ISP):

Each building connects in at 2x1G.  But, it is not "reserved".  It
connects no differently than any other typical campus building.

> Do you have a cap (Mbps) per users? If so, at what speed?

no

> If you cap, do you set it at the switch port using QOS (wireless
> controller for wireless) or use an appliance such as a Packetshaper
> or Firewall?

We found that these appliances cost more to buy and maintain than the
bandwdith they "save" especially since we've been told that our dorm
network needs to perform better than the private sector.  The cable co
here typically does ~20Mbit/sec as the base rate.

> When do you decide to upgrade your bandwidth? When you hit 80% or do
> you wait until you bump up against your limit?

Well, it depends on your sampling rate ;-)  We want to reserve enough
bandwidth for bursting, like for march madness.  A back of the hand
guess is that our bandwidth needs compound roughly 30% per year.

> If your connection is over 1 gig to your ISP, are you using a 10Gig
> handoff or multiple one gig handoffs bundled together?

We progressed from 1G to 2x1G then to 10G for commodity traffic.  Our I2
traffic is on a separate link.

Dale