CIO September 2014

Re: Google Indoor Mapping

Luke Fernandez <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 6 Sep 2014 08:38:47 -0600

Interesting.  I'm not familiar with Schneier.  From your summary he
seems to be suggesting that technology is just a tool and that it can
be either used for good or bad.  Or his point more nuanced then that?
For surely technology isn't just a tool.  Here's one of my favorite
quotes from Zeynep Tufecki arguing for why it's not:

Pundits often say that “technology is just a tool” — that technology is merely
what its users make of it, no more or no less. Leaving aside the
kernel of truth, this
is a misleading notion. Yes, a chair may be used to break a window or
to sit on, but
these are not equally likely outcomes of interacting with a chair. All
technologies
provide “affordances” (i.e., uses of technology that are made easier
by design, Pundits often say that “technology is just a tool” — that
technology is merely
what its users make of it, no more or no less. Leaving aside the
kernel of truth, this
is a misleading notion. Yes, a chair may be used to break a window or
to sit on, but
these are not equally likely outcomes of interacting with a chair. All
technologies
provide “affordances” (i.e., uses of technology that are made easier
by design, (from:
https://www.academia.edu/5788740/The_Social_Internet_Frustrating_Enriching_but_Not_Lonely)

Cheers,

Luke Fernandez