View LISTSERV archives

GOOGLEGSUITE@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU

GOOGLEGSUITE Home

GOOGLEGSUITE  February 2015

GOOGLEGSUITE February 2015

Re: SMTP Relay Service/Server

Mike Porter <[log in to unmask]>

The EDUCAUSE Google Apps Constituent Group Listserv <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 18 Feb 2015 13:45:14 -0500

TEXT/PLAIN

On Wed, 18 Feb 2015, Jesse Thomas wrote:

> Hi Everyone
>
> We currently use an internal SMTP server (MS IIS 6) for relaying mail from a
> number of internal systems and our LISTSERV server, which is used for all of
> our mailing lists.
>
> I'm looking into alternative ways to relay mail for these services and am
> considering Google's SMTP Relay Service
> (https://support.google.com/a/answer/2956491) as one option.

We maintained an oncampus relay because too many machines need to
send email from private (net 10) IP addresses.

Mike

Mike Porter
Systems Programmer V
IT/NSS
University of Delaware

> One concern I have with Google's relay are the sending limits, which are
> listed as "active accounts x 130" messages per day. That should be well
> beyond what we need, but the lack of any ability (that I've been able to
> find) to monitor these limits is a little unnerving.
>
> Another option we're considering is the free version of MailEnable (we're
> primarily a Windows shop).
>
> I'm curious what others are doing, and for anyone that's using Google's
> service, how it's worked out.
>
> Thanks everyone,
>

> --
> Jesse Thomas
> Network & Systems Administrator
> Hamilton College
> 315-859-4211

-
Mike Porter
PGP Fingerprint: F4 AE E1 9F 67 F7 DA EA  2F D2 37 F3 99 ED D1 C2