View LISTSERV archives

ITSUPPORTSERVICES@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU

ITSUPPORTSERVICES Home

ITSUPPORTSERVICES  March 2015

ITSUPPORTSERVICES March 2015

Re: Google apps: Calendar without gmail?

The EDUCAUSE IT Support Services Constituent Group Listserv <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 25 Mar 2015 15:56:58 -0500

On Wed, Mar 25, 2015 at 03:23:43PM -0500, Julia Gray wrote:
> Hi -
>
> Sorry for those of you who see this twice, I'm trying a few avenues
> in my search for answers.
>
> Has anyone as part of their Google Apps for Education roll out
> implemented Calendar before gmail? Or is using Calendar without
> gmail?
>
> As you may be able to tell, we're still in our planning stages, and
> I'm trying to determine what functionality Calendar has (or doesn't
> have) if you don't incorporate gmail; I can't seem to find any
> really clear documentation, as it seems that Google assumes you will
> be utilizing all of their products, even though the documentation I
> did find says you can opt out of (and later opt back in to) using
> various apps, including gmail.
>
> Thanks,
> Julia Gray
> Web something
> Oakton Community College

Hi Julia,

We are a mixed bag here. The undergraduate students have GMail along
with the Calendar and other apps. Graduate students, staff and faculty
use our on-campus mail system. It works well, the one complication that
we had was to restrict which aliases are presented to the users when
inviting others to meetings. They have now added some filtering ability
to the Googe Domain admins that allows only "correct" addresses to show
up in the drop-down lists. It works well barring that caveat.

Regards,
Kenneth Marshall
--
Mgr./Middleware, Infrastructure & Development
[log in to unmask] / 713-348-5294