Re: DS Charges

Spencer Graham <[log in to unmask]>

The EDUCAUSE Digital Signage Constituent Group Listserv <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 5 Aug 2015 15:08:43 +0000

At WVU we place all standard digital signage in what we refer to as "high pedestrian traffic areas" since we include the emergency messaging feature on our signage.  Ideal spots we look for are any pedestrian choke-points such as elevator banks, lobbies, commons areas, entry-ways, atriums, food courts, games areas, study areas, etc.  If it is an outdoor deployment we try to observe the pedestrian traffic flow of that area so that it gets seen in an obvious way.  Obviously, we are sensitive to the local décor and wishes of the local admins who request it in their areas.  It also depends on if we are putting in a "standard deployment" or if it is a Wall of Honor / Donor Recognition Wall, wayfinding, etc.  Those more specialized deployments need to "make sense" in where they are located so that people are able to utilize them, especially in they are touch-screen interactive deployments.  Every installation seems to have its own unique needs and challenges, and we adapt to the venue as best we can.

Spence

-----Original Message-----
From: The EDUCAUSE Digital Signage Constituent Group Listserv [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Mike Cunningham
Sent: Wednesday, August 05, 2015 10:50 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [DIGITALSIGNAGE] DS Charges

If someone sends us a request at our budget building time then we include that request in the ITS budget and if it makes it through the budget balancing process we pay for it. If they ask after budgets are in place we ask them to fund it or wait until the next budget cycle.

This post made me wonder if anyone has any kind of process in place to determine where is a good place to put a digital sign. We currently put one any place the person who requested it says to put it. Many of those places have little traffic or where there is traffic and someone might see the sign they will only see it for a few seconds while walking by. Maybe long enough to see one or two slides.