Re: Software Asset Management Systems

"Johnson, Tom" <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 27 Jul 2017 20:23:19 +0000

	I will mention Sassafras's Keyserver.  http://www.sassafras.com

	Its history is more focused on the "down stream" end of tracking license usage and enforcement, but they have expanded it great in the last 7 or so years.  We have used it for decades for the tracking and enforcing of license agreements in classroom computer labs.  Enforcing current limits in an intelligent, configurable, and user communicative way has always been one of our favorite features.  In more recent years they have been adding purchase agreement tracking features and tying those to the license management policy part that they have always had.  It now has features to compare stored license purchase records vs actual license deployment vs usage to give you an analysis of under used licenses, unused, and over subscribed licenses.  They have also added federation and roles so that groups can manage just their devices/licenses or collect data without being full Keyserver admins.  I don't believe it has many, if any, features for handling billing (beyond keeping records of Purchase orders and invoices) and managing your vendor relationship.

	My group specifically has not used many of those new features however so while I have attended workshops and presentations on them, I haven't used them extensively myself. My experience is on the sys admin end using it to manage software on lab machines and provide usage information/stats for upper management.  There it has been a wonderful product.  Sassafras has been a dream to work with as a company.  Very small, but also very responsive and good tech support.  We have been using it since the early 1990's of our own choice (i.e. our budget and choices pay the bill) and are quite happy with it for our purposes.

Tom "Macintosh Doctor" Johnson