EPIC (EMR) and Microsoft licensing

"Knox, Marg" <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 16 May 2017 18:51:06 +0000

Just FYI for those of you that have Epic for your EMR.  An alert has gone out from various parties reminding Epic schools that there is Microsoft licensing that is utilized with Epic. Now the issue seems to be if an academic medical center extends its Epic coverage to an affiliate, it also needs to make sure that affiliate has the right Microsoft licensing.  Take the case of where a hospital may buy up some clinics (but not own them completely) or even another hospital. The primary needs to look thru the required list of Microsoft items and ensure coverage is accomplished for/by the affiliate. I never saw a complete list but items listed included SQL Server, RDS, Windows System Center, etc.  The queries references using SPLA, which may or may not be the best approach for you.

So I have gotten a flurry of questions in this area (including one related to an AMC in California). In our case, the extension was to another UT entity that is covered by our Campus Agreement and we have coverage for site licensing for SQL server, Windows server, RDS, etc. But ours is not a typical Campus Agreement in that regard.

So, FYI

Margaret (Marg) Knox          The University of Texas System
Executive Director, Systemwide IT (SWIS)
Austin, Texas, 78701