Re: licensing mobility

Steve Johnston <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 8 Jun 2017 00:50:06 +0000

Dear Marg, et al,

My understanding is that Windows licenses are the exception when it comes to license mobility, although we have recently gained the ability to migrate windows licenses into Azure (thereby purchasing Azure servers at the Linux rate rather than the Windows rate).

There is no such arrangement with AWS as far as I am aware, although some of the AWS documentation is not consistent with this understanding.  It's tricky!

Cheers,

Steve

Steve Johnston | Director Strategic Procurement | CAUDIT
www.caudit.edu.au | +61 419 909 677 | [log in to unmask]
PO Box 2003 | Churchlands WA 6018 | AUSTRALIA

-----Original Message-----
From: The EDUCAUSE Software Licensing Issues Constituent Group Listserv [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Knox, Marg
Sent: Thursday, 8 June 2017 2:59 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [LICENSING] licensing mobility

Just mentioned on the call is Microsoft Licensing Mobility.

Here is an AWS site I found : https://aws.amazon.com/windows/resources/licensemobility/

And the  Microsoft site: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Licensing/licensing-programs/software-assurance-license-mobility.aspx

Note both are about application server and I think the question on the call was about Win  server itself. So more digging:-)

Margaret (Marg) Knox          The University of Texas System Executive Director, Systemwide IT (SWIS)
(512) 322-3774                        [log in to unmask] Austin, Texas, 78701