Re: licensing mobility

Neil Huck <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 8 Jun 2017 01:45:21 +0000

Steve,

Reading:  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/licensing/licensing-programs/software-assurance-license-mobility.aspx

It is not completely clear but basically:

1) Deploy with an Authorized Mobility Partner  (so check partner is authorized if not Azure)
"To take advantage of License Mobility, you can deploy on Microsoft Azure or work with any Authorized Mobility Partner. They need to have a current Microsoft Services Provider License Agreement in place to accept your assigned licenses and deploy them as appropriate to your chosen hosted deployment solution."

2) Submit a License Verification Form  (Everyone needs to complete form at
http://www.microsoftvolumelicensing.com/Downloader.aspx?DocumentId=11623 )
"Within 10 days of deployment, complete the License Verification Form available on the Volume Licensing Document Search website and provide it to your Microsoft representative or preferred resell partner, so he or she can submit your form to Microsoft. Once submitted, Microsoft will confirm your eligibility and communicate your verification status to you and your chosen Authorized Mobility Partner."

Neil

Neil Huck
Liaison and Licensing Administrator| Information Technology Services| Professional Services
Phone: (08) 9360 2767 | Email: [log in to unmask] | ECL 4.022
Murdoch University | 90 South Street, Murdoch WA 6150

-----Original Message-----
From: The EDUCAUSE Software Licensing Issues Constituent Group Listserv [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Steve Johnston
Sent: Thursday, 8 June 2017 8:50 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [LICENSING] licensing mobility

Dear Marg, et al,

My understanding is that Windows licenses are the exception when it comes to license mobility, although we have recently gained the ability to migrate windows licenses into Azure (thereby purchasing Azure servers at the Linux rate rather than the Windows rate).

There is no such arrangement with AWS as far as I am aware, although some of the AWS documentation is not consistent with this understanding.  It's tricky!

Cheers,

Steve

Steve Johnston | Director Strategic Procurement | CAUDIT www.caudit.edu.au | +61 419 909 677 | [log in to unmask] PO Box 2003 | Churchlands WA 6018 | AUSTRALIA