Re: Obnoxious.

"Kevin M. Morooney" <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 16 Jun 2017 09:14:33 -0600

Ruth,

Thank you for sharing your concerns about the eduroam registration fee. We apologize that this came across in any way other than offering greater transparency to our costs. As a membership organization, our intent is always to be fair and equitable, and to cover our services' costs.

We are charging an eduroam registration fee to recover the costs of administering the initial expenses of program subscription. We could choose to bundle the costs into an annual fee, but we chose to separate the costs to more accurately represent expenses. The rationale for waiving the registration fee for those institutions requesting no changes is meant to acknowledge the resulting cost savings in a transparent manner and to pass those along to the subscribing organization. There is no malice intended.

Internet2 went to great lengths to involve the community in the development of the eduroam Connector Agreement. We had more than a dozen campuses provide both technical and legal review of our draft agreement, and we incorporated a number of changes based on that feedback.

When a campus asks for changes to the agreement, Internet2 technical and legal staff need to consider those requests in light of eduroam policy standards (overseen by an international governing board), and international privacy regulations, risk, and equal treatment among our members. This consumes time and resources, which is a concern and challenge for a member-owned organization like Internet2.

As the U.S. operator of eduroam, Internet2 has actually absorbed the costs of this wireless service for a number of years. As the service has grown, it became necessary to both have campuses begin to cover the costs of the service, and to have a standard agreement that outlines the duties and responsibilities of all parties.

I would welcome any further questions you might have. Feel free to continue the discussion here or follow up with me off-list (to which I've only subscribed this morning - and - I will be driving for the next many hours so I won't see e-mail for some time).

Thanks.

-kevin

Kevin M. Morooney
Vice President, Trust and Identity Services
Internet2