< Back to LISTSERV archives

ITSUPPORTSERVICES@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU

ITSUPPORTSERVICES Home

ITSUPPORTSERVICES  March 2017

ITSUPPORTSERVICES March 2017

Re: Policies regarding damage of College owned devices

"Rzeszut, Eric (er2ue)" <[log in to unmask]>

The EDUCAUSE IT Support Services Constituent Group Listserv <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 16 Mar 2017 15:23:32 +0000

We (a School-level Help Desk) fund the replacement and/or repair of damaged or lost devices.  The rationale: the employee needs a laptop and/or cell phone to do his or her job.  If they drop it and break it, that doesn't alleviate the need.

The School provides the equipment so that each faculty/staff member can do his/her job, and damage or loss doesn't affect that equation.  If we offloaded that cost onto the employee, what if they couldn't afford the appropriate device out of pocket?  How would they do their job?  We also don't support personally-owned devices, so requiring employees to BYOD in the case of loss/damage would open up another whole can of worms.

This happens at least once a month with School-owned smartphones (broken screens).  It happens less often with laptops, and hardly ever with desktops.  Our user base is approximately 250 employees (this doesn't include students, who don't have School-owned equipment).

A couple of caveats:

1) We purchase our Windows laptops from Dell with three-year CompleteCare.  This covers all damage, including drops, liquid spills, etc.  So we've insured ourselves a bit.  We could do this on smartphones as well through Verizon's insurance program, but so far it's been more cost-effective to pay for replacement screens individually.

2) In the case of habitual offenders, this policy is modified.  For example, we currently have a faculty member who has brought her laptop to us no less than five times this academic year, with obvious cigarette burns and liquid damage.  We have repaired it each time; however, her next laptop is likely to be a "ruggedized" model which can stand up to abuse a little better.  This means her next computer will be heavier, thicker, and less attractive than the laptops assigned to other faculty members; given her history of equipment abuse, however, we can justify this.

Eric

--

Eric J. Rzeszut, CISSP

Help Desk Manager

McIntire School of Commerce

University of Virginia

(434) 924-6134

The Rzeszuts are proud to be the 2017 Ambassador Family for the Charlottesville March of Dimes!

Join us at Random Row Brewing on March 25 for a fundraiser -- $1/beer goes to the MoD:

https://www.facebook.com/events/1875268836090028/