View LISTSERV archives

CIO@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU

CIO Home

CIO  July 2017

CIO July 2017

Re: Faculty Residence Internet Coverage Strategy

Brian Epstein <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 26 Jul 2017 08:41:51 -0400

Walid,

We offer two SSIDs for our Faculty.  One is for non-academic, BYOD
devices and is the standard for use by Faculty families, and IoT devices
like Xbox's and the like.  This network is unsecured and open to guests.
 There are three methods of authenticating to the network, all are MAC
address based.

The first is by logging in and registering the MAC address using
University credentials.  This will permanently register the device to
the user, until the user account is deleted, or the device isn't seen
for 7 months.

The second is by registering the device MAC address in a self-service
portal.  This is for devices that don't have a web browser to register.
The MAC address is again tied to the user account and will have the same
expiration policy as the first.

The last method is a guest 2 week registration.  After the two weeks is
up, the user is forced to register again.  This is the only method that
isn't tied to a user account.  This type of registration is also not
supported at the same level as the first two.

The second SSID (eduroam) is for academic use and is 802.1x
authenticated (much like AUB).  It has access to our library electronic
resources and printers, but is otherwise treated as non-trusted, BYOD space.

We supply wireless access points for our on campus apartments and
townhouses and take responsibility for ample coverage.  For off campus
housing, the Faculty is responsible for their own network setup
(however, we make ourselves available to help them out).

Thanks,
Brian

--
Brian Epstein <[log in to unmask]>                     +1 609-734-8179
Manager, Network and Security           Institute for Advanced Study