View LISTSERV archives

CIO@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU

CIO Home

CIO  June 2018

CIO June 2018

Re: CIO Digest - 4 Jun 2018 to 5 Jun 2018 (#2018-162)

"Mitchel W. Davis" <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 6 Jun 2018 13:04:25 +0000

This was an interesting announcement at WWDC for those who want to move to digital access and payment on campus.

Mitch

1. What is the feature?

Put your Student ID Card in Apple Wallet

This new feature will allow students, faculty, and staff at select Universities to add their Student ID cards to their Apple Wallet in iPhone and Apple Watch

Student ID Cards leverage the same near field communication (NFC) technology and a dedicated chip called the Secure Element as payment cards and transit cards supported in Apple Pay.

What will the user experience be for a user of a Student ID Card on iPhone or Apple Watch

Student ID Cards supported on iPhone and Apple Watch will leverage the same contactless experience as other Apple Pay cards.

Student ID Cards will have the ‘Express” transaction experience first launched with transit in Japan.  For Student ID card readers, a user will not be required to authenticate with Face ID or Touch ID enabling an extremely fast transaction experience designed for campus.

Student ID Card users will be able to view in real-time balances associated with the card, see campus contact information, and view relevant identifying information about their credential on their Wallet pass.

What use cases will be supported?

Student ID Cards on iPhone and Apple Watch will be supported for all the same use cases as physical campus ID cards.

Examples of use cases supported including: Dining plans, building/dorm access, laundry, print/copy, gym, events (ie, football games), library, and other use cases.

The Apple team worked closely with university partners to ensure 100% acceptance of the mobile credential.  This is very important to ensuring a great user experience.

How does a user add their Student ID Card to Apple Wallet?

Students, Faculty, or Staff will be able to add their credential to Apple Wallet via in app provisioning.  Much like payment cards or boarding passes, a user will tap an ‘Add to Apple Wallet’ button to initiate the process of adding a credential to Apple Wallet via on screen prompts.

Users will have all the management features they are familiar with from Apple Pay such as the ability to manage suspending credentials via Find my iPhone.

What devices will be supported?

iPhone: This feature will be enabled on all iPhone models that support Apple Pay — all those devices since the iPhone 6.

Apple Watch: This feature will be enabled on Apple Watch Series 1, 2, and 3.  Series 0 will not be supported.

Who are we working with to enable this?

We are working with the leading providers of Student ID Card and Access technology on campus.  The Apple Pay team is engaged across the ecosystem and will add additional partners over time.

The team started by partnering with Blackboard, the leader in student ID card provider that powers hundreds of universities in the U.S.