< Back to LISTSERV archives

ASM@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU

ASM Home

ASM  1999

ASM 1999

Re: Future of the ASM listserv group

Richard Gambrell <[log in to unmask]>

The EDUCAUSE Administrative Systems Mgmt Constituent Group Listserv <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 13 Nov 1999 08:39:42 -0500

My advice: Be very careful of the system you choose and be fully aware of
what your present systems can do!

UTC got partially down the conversion/migration path, then found that it's
existing system is more capable that it had understood and it is more
satisfctory in supporting it's academic policies than the vendor's system
and it was unwilling to change it's policies.  Thus it now is partially on
a commercial system (Financial Aid and Bursar) and partially running
in-house (Admissions, Records, etc.) - on different platforms. Very
awkward to support, but we're doing it, taking inspiration from the theme
of "best of both" systems.  We are now building a web interface for the
in-house student system.

Richard Gambrell

--
Richard L Gambrell
Database Administrator and

** UTC business:
  University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
  113 Hunter Hall, Dept. 4454
  615 McCallie Ave., Chattanooga, TN 37403-2598
  fax: 423-755-4025
  phone: 423-755-4551       email: [log in to unmask]

** other business or private:
  voice mail/phone: 423-874-0261  email: [log in to unmask]