< Back to LISTSERV archives

ASM@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU

ASM Home

ASM  1999

ASM 1999

Re: buddy system

gball <[log in to unmask]>

The EDUCAUSE Administrative Systems Mgmt Constituent Group Listserv <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 15 Nov 1999 08:35:15 -0500

I sure like this idea!  We're on the edge of a new admin system, and such
information would be invaluable, especially if we could track the date of
posting, have contact info, etc.   Where to start?????

>===== Original Message From "Charles R. Thomas" <[log in to unmask]>
=====
>In the early years some CAUSE members who were evaluating administrative
>systems alternatives published summaries of their efforts in what was
>titled a "feature analysis" of the different systems. Some variation of
>that activity might be possible if an EDUCAUSE sponsored group of members
>collaborated on a website to identify the common "features" in a specific
>area (like Student Records or Human Resources), then supplemented the
>analyses with locally added "features". Such a website should be helpful as
>institutions seek new administative systems packages.
>----------------
>At 08:50 AM 11/13/1999 -0500, Richard Gambrell wrote:
>>I've been surprised at the lack of comparative (and open) information on
>>Administrative Systems for higher education.  In the library world, there
>>are publications and web sites comparing and contrasting systems.  I think
>>Educause and this forum could try to push vendors to be more open with
>>information.  There is also a reluctance by staff to complain and publicly
>>criticize for fear of the vendor's reaction and fear of internally
>>undermining policy.  Perhaps anonymous quality assessment surveys are
>>needed, but who would pay for them?

>Charles R. Thomas, NCHEMS Senior Consultant & CHESS President
>1100 N Lake Shore Dr 16B,  Chicago, IL 60611
>TEL: 312-951-1876  FAX: 312-664-0512
>E-Mail: [log in to unmask]   Website: www.nchems.org/staff/chuck.htm

Gerald Ball    [log in to unmask]
Director, Information Technology