< Back to LISTSERV archives

ASM@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU

ASM Home

ASM  1999

ASM 1999

Re: RMS

Karl Steiner <[log in to unmask]>

The EDUCAUSE Administrative Systems Mgmt Constituent Group Listserv <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 15 Nov 1999 14:25:44 -0500

 We got complaints about how hard Focus (our report writer) is to learn, so
we tried using CONNX (an ODBC driver which gets access into our RMS files),
but it's been so
>painfully slow that it's really only good for creating extracts of  data.
>Further, once the data has been extracted, there are few users who are
>willing to learn Access and get a handle on all the files and fields so
>they want us to write their Access reports for them.  We may be upgrading
>to another system, although have no timetable for doing so.  We also are
>not interested in spending millions on this software, nor taking 5+ years
>to implement.  I would be interested in hearing how your process is going
>Kevin Shalla
>Illinois Institute of Technology
>(312) 567-3883

Kevin, when you say RMS, do you mean Residential Management Systems ?
We purchased it last year and will be using the system by this Dec.
We have the SQL 7 version of the product which we hope will eliminate
some of the nightmares you're experiencing.