We are using the Nexus product (Open Source - thanks Walter) at Rice.
While Nexus does a great job of provisioning, we still needed to have a
Person Registry which is where the join occurs and as David points out,
where the record of all reconciled person information resides.  The
person registry is the part that we wrote and does the heavy lifting of
reconciling people to accounts from various sources.  Mark has actually
written a very nice one that is available on the NMI-Edit site (correct
me if I am wrong Mark) and it can take any number of sources and create
unique identifiers.