Please share this with your colleagues and appropriate mailing lists.
Deadline for applying is June 15, 2012.

*//*

*/Call for Participation/*

*/LearnLab's Annual Learning Science Workshop /*

*/Use of Technology Toward Enhancing Achievement and Equity in the 21st
Century/*

/August 4-5/

/Carnegie Mellon University/

/Pittsburgh PA
/

*Applications Due June 15, 2012*
//

*No Cost To Attend*

Overview

LearnLab, an NSF Science of Learning Center (SLC) at Carnegie Mellon and
the University of Pittsburgh, has an exciting summer research
opportunity available to early career researchers in the fields of
psychology, education, computer science, human-computer interfaces and
language technologies.

The workshop is targeted to senior graduate students, post-docs and
early career faculty. The workshop seeks broad participation, including
members of underrepresented groups as defined by NSF (African American,
Hispanic, Native American) who may be considering a research or faculty
position in the learning sciences.

This two-day workshop immediately precedes the LearnLab Summer School
(www.learnlab.org/opportunities/summer/
<http://www.learnlab.org/opportunities/summer/>).Our research theme is
the /use of technology for enhancing achievement and equity in the 21st
Century,/ specifically these five areas:

·*Enhancing Achievement through Educational Technology and Data
Mining.*Using domain modeling, and large datasets to discover when
learning occurs and to provide scaffolding for struggling students. See
www.learnlab.org/research/wiki/index.php/Computational_Modeling_and_Data_Mining
<http://www.learnlab.org/research/wiki/index.php/Computational_Modeling_and_Data_Mining>.**

·*21st Century Skills, Dispositions, and Opportunities. *Re-examining
the goals of education and assessment and considering transformative
changes in how and where learning occurs.**

·*Opening Classroom Discourse*.Studying how classroom talk contributes
to domain learning and supports equity of learning opportunity.See
LearnLab's Social-Communicative Factors thrust
www.learnlab.org/research/wiki/index.php/Social_and_Communicative_Factors_in_Learning
<http://www.learnlab.org/research/wiki/index.php/Social_and_Communicative_Factors_in_Learning>.

·*Course-Situated Research*.Running principle-testing experiments while
navigating the complex waters of real-world classrooms.See
www.learnlab.org/research/wiki/index.php/In_vivo_experiment
<http://www.learnlab.org/research/wiki/index.php/In_vivo_experiment>.

·*Motivation Interventions for Learning. *Implementing theory based
motivational interventions to target at risk populations to improve
robust student learning.

The substantive focus of the workshop is the use of current and emerging
technologies to enhance achievement and equity at all levels of
learning. Activities will include demonstrations of the diverse set of
ongoing learning sciences research projects at LearnLab, and
poster presentations or talks by participants. Participants will also
meet with LearnLab faculty in research groups and various informal
settings. We will provide information about becoming a part of the
Carnegie Mellon or University of Pittsburgh learning science community.

In addition to these substantive themes, the workshop will provide
participants with opportunities for professional development and the
chance to gain a better understanding of the academic career ladder.
These include mentoring that focuses on skills, strategies and "insider
information" for career paths. Sessions will include senior faculty
discussing the tenure and promotion process, launching a research
program, professionalism, and a detailed session on proposal writing.
  There is no cost to attend this workshop

We are very pleased to announce that the workshop will have two
distinguished keynote speakers:

Louis Gomez is the MacArthur Chair in Digital Media and Learning at
UCLA's Graduate School of Education & Information Studies. Dr. Gomez is
well known for his collaborative research with urban communities,
including bringing computing and networking technologies into
traditionally underserved schools to support instruction.

Janet Kolodner is program officer for NSF's Cyberlearning Program and
Regents Professor in the College of Computing at Georgia Institute of
Technology. Professor Kolodner is well known for her research on
technology mediated learning and AI applications to education. She is
founding Editor in Chief of the /Journal of the Learning Sciences/ anda
founder of the International Society for the Learning Sciences.

About LearnLab

LearnLab is funded by the National Science Foundation (award number
SBE-0836012).Our center leverages cognitive theory and computational
modeling to identify the instructional conditions that cause robust
student learning.Our researchers study robust learning
<http://learnlab.org/research/wiki/index.php/Robust_learning>by
conductingin vivo experiments
<http://learnlab.org/research/wiki/index.php/In_vivo_experiment>in math,
science and language courses. We also support collaborative primary and
secondary analysis of learning data through our open data
repositoryLearnLab DataShop
<http://learnlab.org/technologies/datashop/index.php>, which provides
data import and export features as well as advanced visualization,
statistical, and data mining tools.

To learn more about our cognitive science theoretical framework, read
ourKnowledge-Learning-Instruction Framework
<http://www.learnlab.org/documents/KLI-Framework-Tech-Report.pdf>.

The results of our research are collected in ourtheoretical wiki
<http://www.learnlab.org/research/wiki/index.php/Main_Page>which
currently has over 400 pages. It also includes a list ofprinciples of
learning
<http://www.learnlab.org/research/wiki/index.php/Instructional_Principles_and_Hypotheses>which
are supported by learning science research. The wiki is open and freely
editable, and we invite you to learn more and contribute.

Application Process

Applicants should send their CV, a proposed presentation title and
abstract, and a brief statement describing their research interests and
future plans to Jo Bodnar ([log in to unmask]
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>) by June 15, 2012. Please use the subject
*/Application for LearnLab Summer Workshop 2012./ *Upon acceptance*, *we
will let you know if you have been selected for a talk or poster
presentation.

Costs

There is no registration fee for this workshop.However, attendance is
limited so early applications are encouraged.Scholarships for travel are
available.Scholarships will be awarded based on your application,
including your research interests, future plans, and optional
recommendation letter.

Important Dates

·June 15 Application Deadline

·June 29 Notification of Acceptance

·August 4-5 Workshop held at Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh