Pete Hoffswell - Network Manager
http://www.davenport.edu
616-732-1101

On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 5:01 PM, Peter P Morrissey <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
The problem I have with NANOG is that they don't have any agenda. I can't justify the expense of a conference without at least knowing the agenda. They also tend to be more ISP focused, which sometimes overlaps with our concerns and sometimes not.

One thing about NANOG is that they often post videos of their  past presentations. This can be a great resource but is also evidence that their presentations do tend to be very high quality and are given by very knowledgeable individuals. The upside to them putting their agenda together so late is that it tends to be very fresh. Some of the other conferences go to the other extreme and if you are interested in presenting for example, you have to commit to a topic that you have all worked out very far in advance, sometimes too far IMHO.

Pete M.

-----Original Message-----
From: The EDUCAUSE Network Management Constituent Group Listserv [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Michael Sinatra
Sent: Thursday, April 25, 2013 4:38 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [NETMAN] What conference do you go to?

On 04/24/2013 14:02, Aaron Smith wrote:
> Another vote for NANOG.

This is a good time to point out that the next installment of NANOG is coming up--registration and the hotel block are open (but filling up quickly).

NANOG 58
Roosevelt Hotel
New Orleans, LA
June 3-5, 2013

Since there is no Internet2 Joint Techs in the summer anymore, I have been asking R&E folks interested in network engineering to come to NANOG.  I already see a few people from LONI, CMU, NYU, IU, Internet2, and other EDU constituencies.  I have found that there is a lot to learn from my commercial provider friends (many of whom used to be in R&E).
Please consider going to an upcoming NANOG--you will be more than welcome!

michael