-----Original Message-----
From: The EDUCAUSE Network Management Constituent Group Listserv
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Fishel Erps
Sent: Thursday, February 6, 2014 12:23 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [NETMAN] Network IP Tracking

Hello,

     We are looking for a way to track a user's MAC to IP, and we want it
to get updated dynamically, and we want to know what others out there, are
using.

     For example, I am a student with a new laptop, and I want to connect
to the network.  When I connect - either wired or wirelessly, I should
have my browser pop-up and asks me to enter my credentials (LDAP, AD,
etc.).  It should them log my MAC as belonging to user XYZ.

      From that point forward, it should also store a history of every IP
the user gets, each time they get one.

     The ultimate purpose is to provide a deterrent for students who might
use bit-torrents.  That way, when we get a notice from someone that XYX
downloaded a copyrighted movie, we can now research which student had
which IP at what time, and pursue the issue.

Fishel Erps
Sr. Network & Infrastructure Engineer,
School of Visual Arts
LL: 212-592-2000