Well, this was the first year were were "supposed" to be using Livestream.

Apparently there is a power outage at their datacenter and they are hard down right now.   We just switched over to our locally hosted Adobe Media Streaming Server.

I highly recommend having a backup plan.   The "cloud" does not always work when you need it.  :)

On Mon, May 12, 2014 at 10:36 AM, Derek Johnson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Students and faculty from our media studies program live-stream our commencement.  For years they streamed from in-house using Windows Media Encoder and a beefy PC.  This year they plan to feed either Youtube or Telvue Cloudcast, and let the cloud services worry about bandwidth, system load, etc..  The embedded video is supposed to be flash & html5 compatible to support mobile devices as well.

So far, legal counsel hasn't expressed concerns regarding copyright issues.

Derek Johnson | Data Communications Coordinator
FORT HAYS STATE UNIVERSITY
415 Lyman Dr. TH 101, Hays, KS 67601

From:        Brian Helman <[log in to unmask]>
To:        [log in to unmask]
Date:        05/09/2014 05:14 PM
Subject:        [NETMAN] Streaming of Commencement
Sent by:        The EDUCAUSE Network Management Constituent Group Listserv <[log in to unmask]>

I should set up a poll for this, but I thought I'd attempt to start a discussion.  How many of you stream your commencements for viewers on the 'net?  Can anyone view the streams?  Are you hosting locally or using a 'net provider?  How do you handle copyright concerns (e.g for music played)?

I'll elaborate more on what prompted this question a little later.

Thanks!

-Brian

Jason E. Murray
http://www.zweck.net/