Google released this "feature" back in March if you had Google+ on.  I
think it just adds confusion unless a majority of meetings at your
institution occur in hangouts, which is definitely not the case for us.

Here's the announcement, which includes instructions to turn it off: New
Google Calendar events will now have a Hangout video call link
<http://googleappsupdates.blogspot.com/2014/03/new-google-calendar-events-will-now_26.html>
Once it's off, users can still click something like "Add video call" if
they want to create a hangout, so there's really no harm in turning it off.

Todd Swatling
Systems Administrator
Vassar College CIS
(845) 437-7759