Google released this "feature" back in March if you had Google+ on.  I think it just adds confusion unless a majority of meetings at your institution occur in hangouts, which is definitely not the case for us.

Here's the announcement, which includes instructions to turn it off: New Google Calendar events will now have a Hangout video call link  Once it's off, users can still click something like "Add video call" if they want to create a hangout, so there's really no harm in turning it off.

Todd Swatling
Systems Administrator
Vassar College CIS
(845) 437-7759