Here at Ashland University I have 1 full-time person and 30 students who
work at the TSC.  We also have 4 student workers who are Shift Leaders and
have more responsibility than the other student workers.

Do you allow the students to be unsupervised?  Meaning, if your coordinator
has to step out, go to lunch, or they are out sick; do you allow the
students to be in the TSC without that employee there?

We have evening and weekend hours that there are not full-time staff.

How do you recruit students for the positions?  Since you need someone with
some technical knowledge, do you reach out to your CS or Engineering
schools to get workers?

We have a job posting board and word of mouth by our existing students.  I
have the Tech Support Center, Client Desktop Support and Audio Visual under
my supervision so all students have to be trained to work in all three
areas.  The students are required to do one semester at the Tech Support
Center before being trained in the other areas and we look more for people
and soft skills because that is something you really can't teach someone
and the hard skills you can. I have found that some of our best students
are other majors versus CS students.

How do you handle access to sensitive information with student employees
(ie Banner information, account passwords, etc)?

Student employees have to sign confidentiality forms and they have to go
through FERPA training.  We use Ellucian and the student workers are
allowed to look up information to support our students and staff but the
screens they have access to do not have social, salaries etc. on them.  We
allow them access to the password reset tool to help clients if they have
problems resetting their own passwords, we allow them to change and setup
specific guest accounts for our clients, use remote assistance for First
Call Resolution.  We allow our Shift Leaders to assign tickets to the Tier
2 technicians.

Hope this helps.

--

Hello,

All technical support needs for all AU systems from Faculty, Staff and
Students need to go through the Tech Support Center.

Going through the TSC for support needs is always the best first path.

Contacting an I.T. staff directly with issues only causes more delays and
confusion.

If you require assistance please contact:

Ashland University Tech Support Center
- Submit a ticket: https://kbox.it.ashland.edu/
- Phone ext. (on campus): 5405
- Phone (off campus): 419-289-5405 or 1.866.434.5222

Sandi Carpenter
Ashland University
Information Technology
Director Client Services/Tech Support Center/Audio Visual