Answers inline below.  If you have further questions, please let me know.
Rich

On Thu, Nov 10, 2016 at 12:21 PM Matthew McFall <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I am new to the group and relatively new to my current position.  We have
> a Technology Support Center that includes our support desk for all faculty,
> staff, and students.  We only assist with university owned technology, no
> personal devices.  I currently have one fulltime Support Coordinator in the
> TSC with a rotation of student workers.  The TSC takes support
> calls/walk-ups and open ticket requests via phone, email, or walk-up.  We
> use Dell KACE for support ticketing.  I am sure this is generally how
> everyone is structured.
>

> In reading through a thread that posted the other day, I noticed many of
> you appear to have a more heavily student ran/staffed support desk with
> oversight by a fulltime employee.  I am slowly working my way toward a more
> student ran TSC here also.  I am wanting the student employees to have
> ownership of the support desk and have oversight by the fulltime employee.
> I have a couple of questions that I would like to ask the group.  Please
> feel free to respond offline if you prefer.
>

> Do you allow the students to be unsupervised?  Meaning, if your
> coordinator has to step out, go to lunch, or they are out sick; do you
> allow the students to be in the TSC without that employee there?

Yes.  We have early morning and night and weekend hours where there is no
FT employee at all.

> How do you recruit students for the positions?  Since you need someone
> with some technical knowledge, do you reach out to your CS or Engineering
> schools to get workers?

We post on the Student Financial Services Job boards and word of mouth from
existing student employees.

> How do you handle access to sensitive information with student employees
> (ie Banner information, account passwords, etc)?

Students employees do not have access to this.  Grad Assistants can reset
user passwords.

> I have other questions, but these seem like a good starting point.  I look
> forward to your responses.  Thank you.
>

> Matthew S. McFall
>
> Director of Technology Support Center
>
> Jacksonville State University
>
> Office: 256-782-5664 <(256)%20782-5664>
>

> [image: image001.gif]

> http://www.educause.edu/groups/.
>
> --

-----------------------

*Richard A. Musal, M.A., M.S., P.D.*

*Associate Director of Client Services & Operations, ITS*

Riverdale, NY 10471

Phone: 718-862-7933

[log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>

www.manhattan.edu

<http://itsblog.manhattan.edu/>

<http://manhattan.edu/its>

*-Have a question? * Check our Knowledge Base
<https://manhattan.teamdynamix.com/TDClient/KB/Default>

Check on your tickets here
<https://manhattan.teamdynamix.com/TDClient/Requests/TicketRequests/>.

Have you transitioned to Drive yet? Learn more here
<http://itsblog.manhattan.edu/p/google-drive-one-place-to-create.html> or
ask ITS.

Click here
<https://manhattan.teamdynamix.com/TDClient/KB/Default?CategoryID=1022> for