Washington University in St. Louis has been gradually migrating from multiple on premise Exchange environments to a unified O365 EDU deployment for the past couple of years (we’re almost finished.) The migration process has been slow, but very successful.  People are happy to finally have a common email platform across all faculty staff and students.

Feedback from uses has been positive.  We allow IMAP connections to O365 mailboxes, so people who wanted to cling to Thunderbird or their other preferred email client could be appeased.

We’ve gone full cloud (not hybrid) after long battle convincing key entities that their email was just as (if not more) secure being stored on Microsoft’s servers.  Microsoft’s EDU contracts guarantee that they will not perform data mining on your email data.

We provide Office 365 Pro Plus licenses for current faculty/staff/students so that all current entities have access to Office Online, Office Desktop Applications, and Office Mobile apps.  For Alumni (who get to keep their email account as long as they want) we apply a more basic license that just provides email.

To view more info about our O365 deployment including customer-facing instructions, check out: https://email.wustl.edu/

Cheers,

-       John

John Bailey – Manager, Public Cloud Services

Washington University Information Technology

phone: ‪(314) 935-4570 email: [log in to unmask]