We are staffed primarily by students. My director, who oversees all of User Support, including field technicians who do not work at the Helpdesk, is in the same room, along with me. We’re here during college business hours. I have a full time employee who works 2:30pm-10:30pm Sun-Thurs. I also have a staff of graduate assistants. Who cover many of the hours, but work 20 hours per week.

My students are allowed to be here unsupervised. They’re trained pretty well and handle most issues on their own (in fact, I find that they work better alone than if I’m here because they know they can lean on me).

My jobs are highly sought after. Word of mouth among friends works well. I post jobs on our general student job site when I have them available. For Helpdesk type roles, I care less about technical capability and more about customer service and interpersonal skills.

Undergraduates are not giving access to passwords, but all students on campus sign a confidentiality agreement and must watch a presentation about compliance with FERPA and the GLB Act. Graduate Assistants are the lowest level of employee that can reset passwords. At the Helpdesk, we, including full timers, only have access to AD and email passwords. We cannot reset Banner passwords or student Bannerweb passwords.

Jim

--

Jim Rizzo

Helpdesk Manager

Providence College Information Technology

(401) 865-1277

http://www.providence.edu/helpdesk

http://www.providence.edu/ihelp

Like us on Facebook!