Here at Ashland University I have 1 full-time person and 30 students who work at the TSC.  We also have 4 student workers who are Shift Leaders and have more responsibility than the other student workers.

Do you allow the students to be unsupervised?  Meaning, if your coordinator has to step out, go to lunch, or they are out sick; do you allow the students to be in the TSC without that employee there?

We have evening and weekend hours that there are not full-time staff.

How do you recruit students for the positions?  Since you need someone with some technical knowledge, do you reach out to your CS or Engineering schools to get workers?

We have a job posting board and word of mouth by our existing students.  I have the Tech Support Center, Client Desktop Support and Audio Visual under my supervision so all students have to be trained to work in all three areas.  The students are required to do one semester at the Tech Support Center before being trained in the other areas and we look more for people and soft skills because that is something you really can't teach someone and the hard skills you can. I have found that some of our best students are other majors versus CS students.

How do you handle access to sensitive information with student employees (ie Banner information, account passwords, etc)?

Student employees have to sign confidentiality forms and they have to go through FERPA training.  We use Ellucian and the student workers are allowed to look up information to support our students and staff but the screens they have access to do not have social, salaries etc. on them.  We allow them access to the password reset tool to help clients if they have problems resetting their own passwords, we allow them to change and setup specific guest accounts for our clients, use remote assistance for First Call Resolution.  We allow our Shift Leaders to assign tickets to the Tier 2 technicians.

Hope this helps.

I am new to the group and relatively new to my current position.  We have a Technology Support Center that includes our support desk for all faculty, staff, and students.  We only assist with university owned technology, no personal devices.  I currently have one fulltime Support Coordinator in the TSC with a rotation of student workers.  The TSC takes support calls/walk-ups and open ticket requests via phone, email, or walk-up.  We use Dell KACE for support ticketing.  I am sure this is generally how everyone is structured.

In reading through a thread that posted the other day, I noticed many of you appear to have a more heavily student ran/staffed support desk with oversight by a fulltime employee.  I am slowly working my way toward a more student ran TSC here also.  I am wanting the student employees to have ownership of the support desk and have oversight by the fulltime employee.  I have a couple of questions that I would like to ask the group.  Please feel free to respond offline if you prefer.

Do you allow the students to be unsupervised?  Meaning, if your coordinator has to step out, go to lunch, or they are out sick; do you allow the students to be in the TSC without that employee there?

How do you recruit students for the positions?  Since you need someone with some technical knowledge, do you reach out to your CS or Engineering schools to get workers?

How do you handle access to sensitive information with student employees (ie Banner information, account passwords, etc)?

I have other questions, but these seem like a good starting point.  I look forward to your responses.  Thank you.

Matthew S. McFall

Director of Technology Support Center

Jacksonville State University

Office: 256-782-5664

[log in to unmask]" alt="http://www.jsu.edu/gem_images/jsu_it_footer.gif">

Hello,

All technical support needs for all AU systems from Faculty, Staff and Students need to go through the Tech Support Center.

Going through the TSC for support needs is always the best first path.

Contacting an I.T. staff directly with issues only causes more delays and confusion.

If you require assistance please contact:

Ashland University Tech Support Center
- Submit a ticket: https://kbox.it.ashland.edu/
- Phone ext. (on campus): 5405
- Phone (off campus): 419-289-5405 or 1.866.434.5222

Sandi Carpenter
Ashland University
Information Technology
Director Client Services/Tech Support Center/Audio Visual