From: The EDUCAUSE IT Support Services Constituent Group Listserv [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Rzeszut, Eric (er2ue)
Sent: Thursday, November 10, 2016 11:45 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ITSUPPORTSERVICES] Student ran/staffed support desk

I have three full-time employees that work for me, and (this semester) 7 student workers.  Our Help Desk is open 7AM - 9PM during the week, and 12-9PM on Sundays.  After-hours and Sunday shifts are entirely student-run.  Student workers are occasionally at the Help Desk unsupervised during the workday hours.

Generally, we expect our student workers to handle "Tier 0" and Tier 1 tasks.  What I mean by Tier 0 is non-IT stuff - we're the building Lost & Found, for example; other Tier 0 tasks include directory assistance, etc.  In general, we find that our student workers are excellent at triaging support requests from *other* students.  They know the typical student needs / procedures better than the professional staff, in many cases; and almost all of the after-hours traffic is from students.

Some of our student workers are also great at assisting faculty/staff, but most of those tasks fall to the full-timers.

As Brandon said, we also recruit on customer service skills first, technical skills second.  I can train the technical skills.  It's a bonus when we can hire a CS or Engineering student with technical skills, but it's not a requirement.

We do allow students access to sensitive information (faculty / staff file shares, passwords, etc.).  Many things here at UVA fall back on the student-enforced "honor code," where a student who violates privacy or who cheats, steals, etc. can be expelled from the school.

One thing we're now considering is the idea of a "Senior Student" or "Team Leader," drawn from our veteran staff, who would have more responsibilities than the other students.  Maybe manage shift change requests, substitutions, etc.  This might be a graduate student (typically we hire undergrads) or it might be an 4th year undergrad that has 1-2 years' experience with us.  I'd be curious to know how many of you use varying "levels" of student workers.

--
Eric J. Rzeszut, CISSP
Help Desk Manager