We use a purchased tool http://www.forensit.com/desktop-management.html.

Minimizing the number of group policies being applied, local and domain.

We have a minimum standard of 3 minutes from power on to application loaded with a spinning desk. With SSD we are well under that.

From: The EDUCAUSE IT Support Services Constituent Group Listserv [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Lucas Lanting
Sent: Saturday, November 19, 2016 6:26 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [ITSUPPORTSERVICES] computer lab login times (windows OS)

All,

Would you be willing to share your thoughts, tips, tricks, recommendations and/or best practices in minimizing student computer lab login times?

Our classroom and open lab computers are running Windows 7 or 10 with DeepFreeze.  We are not currently using roaming profiles or SSDs.  We require students to log into the computers with their domain account – which of course requires time for the local profile build.  We have been testing a number of configurations to reduce our times – but would like to hear from other universities as to what methodologies have worked well for them.

Thank you for the consideration.

Lucas Lanting

Academic Technology Support, Director

IT | Cal Poly Pomona University