Hi Matthew,

Here are my responses:

Do you allow the students to be unsupervised?  Yes…generally for us however, this isn’t an issue. Our team consists of 4 full-time staff members, 2 student team leads, and 10 additional students.  Meaning, if your coordinator has to step out, go to lunch, or they are out sick; do you allow the students to be in the TSC without that employee there?

How do you recruit students for the positions? Through our website and in collaboration with our campus student employment services.

Since you need someone with some technical knowledge, do you reach out to your CS or Engineering schools to get workers? We look for students who demonstrate strong soft skills and analytics. It’s been our experience; we can teach them IT triage support through our training program the “How to”. Soft skills cannot necessarily be taught.

How do you handle access to sensitive information with student employees (ie Banner information, account passwords, etc)? Our students must pass a full background check, are required to sign a campus IT confidentiality statement, and must successfully complete the required security access training modules. In addition, our ITSO logs and tracks access to sensitive and private data. If an employee has violated the campus security policies, they are terminated on the spot. I make it very clear to our students and staff members that we have zero tolerance for abuse of their elevated access privileges.

Best,

LeCarla Gilmere

IT Service Center Manager

Office of Information Technology

University of Colorado Boulder

Boulder, Colorado 80309

O: 303 735 2036

Help: 303 735 4357 (5-HELP on campus)

OIT: Website | Facebook | Twitter

How are we doing?  Leave feedback: [log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]