Hi Matthew

I managed the HelpDesk at Gallaudet University. I have 3 full time staff that works between 7AM-5PM. We do employ student workers to handle the front desk with walk-in and calls but no ticket processing - till this year. I am having my student take a more active role in creating/processing tickets related to account and password issues. We do have an afterhour support via an outside vendor to handle account/email/blackboard issues between 5PM-7AM and weekends. I am looking at expanding my student role to do other tickets but requires training. When I recruit students, I look for those who have good thinking and communication skills. I can teach them the technical aspect of the job easily enough. There has been a time or two when my staff had to leave early and let the student run the last hour or so of the shift. Lucky enough, it was a student who had the most experience so it wasn't a problem.

Feel free to ask more question via this thread or off-line.

Charles

Charles E Drawdy
Manager, Help Desk
Gallaudet Technology Services