Hello Matthew.

Here at TCNJ, we're sort of "blended". We have to full-time staffers who work from 8am to 5pm (I'm one of those). We also have a staff of student workers (seven of them, this year), who work from 8:30am to 9pm (Monday through Thursday). So yes, they're unsupervised from 5-9. Of course, any day that either I or my co-worker is out, they're on their own for at least the hour that whichever of us is here takes lunch. Additionally they're solo when we have staff meetings and such.

As for recruiting, I post a job every year with our Student Employment office, include an exact list of skills I want (which doesn't stop everyone from applying anyway, but helps me weed it down). As part of the interview process (when I finally get there), prospective hires must take a technical assessment test that I came up with (and really need to update, now that I think about it). They must score a minimum of 75% to be in contention, and I make that really clear up-front (it's even in the job listing). Interestingly, I rarely get CS majors here. They tend to be unhappy once they figure out that the skills their learning are basically useless in this job.

As for sensitive info (my students have access to ID numbers, and can change passwords), each student worker must read and sign a confidentiality agreement, which I then keep on file. The penalties for violation of that agreement include not only immediate termination of employment, but a hearing with the Chief Information Officer and/or the Dean of Students.

Dan