From: The EDUCAUSE IT Support Services Constituent Group Listserv [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Matthew McFall
Sent: Thursday, November 10, 2016 11:11 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [ITSUPPORTSERVICES] Student ran/staffed support desk

I am new to the group and relatively new to my current position.  We have a Technology Support Center that includes our support desk for all faculty, staff, and students.  We only assist with university owned technology, no personal devices.  I currently have one fulltime Support Coordinator in the TSC with a rotation of student workers.  The TSC takes support calls/walk-ups and open ticket requests via phone, email, or walk-up.  We use Dell KACE for support ticketing.  I am sure this is generally how everyone is structured.

In reading through a thread that posted the other day, I noticed many of you appear to have a more heavily student ran/staffed support desk with oversight by a fulltime employee.  I am slowly working my way toward a more student ran TSC here also.  I am wanting the student employees to have ownership of the support desk and have oversight by the fulltime employee.  I have a couple of questions that I would like to ask the group.  Please feel free to respond offline if you prefer.

Do you allow the students to be unsupervised?  Meaning, if your coordinator has to step out, go to lunch, or they are out sick; do you allow the students to be in the TSC without that employee there?

How do you recruit students for the positions?  Since you need someone with some technical knowledge, do you reach out to your CS or Engineering schools to get workers?

How do you handle access to sensitive information with student employees (ie Banner information, account passwords, etc)?

I have other questions, but these seem like a good starting point.  I look forward to your responses.  Thank you.

Matthew S. McFall
Director of Technology Support Center
Jacksonville State University
Office: 256-782-5664