Answers inline below.  If you have further questions, please let me know.
Rich

On Thu, Nov 10, 2016 at 12:21 PM Matthew McFall <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

I am new to the group and relatively new to my current position.  We have a Technology Support Center that includes our support desk for all faculty, staff, and students.  We only assist with university owned technology, no personal devices.  I currently have one fulltime Support Coordinator in the TSC with a rotation of student workers.  The TSC takes support calls/walk-ups and open ticket requests via phone, email, or walk-up.  We use Dell KACE for support ticketing.  I am sure this is generally how everyone is structured.

In reading through a thread that posted the other day, I noticed many of you appear to have a more heavily student ran/staffed support desk with oversight by a fulltime employee.  I am slowly working my way toward a more student ran TSC here also.  I am wanting the student employees to have ownership of the support desk and have oversight by the fulltime employee.  I have a couple of questions that I would like to ask the group.  Please feel free to respond offline if you prefer.

Do you allow the students to be unsupervised?  Meaning, if your coordinator has to step out, go to lunch, or they are out sick; do you allow the students to be in the TSC without that employee there?

Yes.  We have early morning and night and weekend hours where there is no FT employee at all.

How do you recruit students for the positions?  Since you need someone with some technical knowledge, do you reach out to your CS or Engineering schools to get workers?

We post on the Student Financial Services Job boards and word of mouth from existing student employees.

How do you handle access to sensitive information with student employees (ie Banner information, account passwords, etc)?

Students employees do not have access to this.  Grad Assistants can reset user passwords.

I have other questions, but these seem like a good starting point.  I look forward to your responses.  Thank you.

Matthew S. McFall

Director of Technology Support Center

Jacksonville State University

Office: 256-782-5664

image001.gif

Richard A. Musal, M.A., M.S., P.D.

Associate Director of Client Services & Operations, ITS

Riverdale, NY 10471

Phone: 718-862-7933

www.manhattan.edu

-Have a question?  Check our Knowledge Base

Check on your tickets here.

Have you transitioned to Drive yet? Learn more here or ask ITS.

Click here for instructions on how to transition.