Hello,

I’m submitting information on behalf of our Technology Resources Change Manager, who has recently joined the ITSM Listserve group.  I have included her contact information below.

We implemented our change management process two years ago using ITIL change management methodologies. We have 3 change types: Normal, Standard, and Emergency changes. Normal changes must first be approved by a department Change Advisory Board (CAB) before the change is worked on in the test environment. We have a department CAB for each department. We have 9 departments, thus have 9 departments CABs. The change requestor’s department is the assigned department CAB. Department CABs are comprised of mid-level managers, supervisors, and leads. Once the requestor’s department CAB approves the change, the requestor is given approval notification to work in the test environment. Once testing is complete, the requestor informs the Change Manager to seek Release Advisory Board (RAB) approval.

All RAB members must approve the change before it can be migrated to the production environment. Members include most of the department CAB members. The members can approve the change through a web form, or hold approval for discussion at the RAB weekly meeting.

Standard change requests are pre-approved by the Release Advisory Board (RAB). Once approved as a standard, a requestor can submit the change and by-pass the approval process that is used on Normal change requests. Standards are low-risk changes.

Change requests for emergencies are submitted after the “fix” in order to avoid holding up the change. All department CABs and the RAB are notified of the emergency.

All changes require a Post Implementation Review in order to close the change request.

Several take a ways: Don’t make the process complex. Our main goals were to communicate changes across the board in order to reduce the risk of interrupting IT services. And to ensure that the integrity of the live environment is protected. Staff are resistant to adding additional layers to getting the work done so limit the change details on the request form to only include what is really important/needed.

Karen J. Marshall, PMP

TR Change Manager

Technology Resources Enterprise Systems

Texas State University, Room 681