We do exactly that ... wording is a little different but we have CAB agenda changes and most others are 'local authority' approvals -- managers of specific areas can make the determination if the change is considered Standard (local authority) or Normal (goes to CAB).  Managers are central IT managers; not typically distributed/shadow IT individuals.

We do a "filter and classify" for Normal changes by probability and impact risk assessment, and by impact and urgency matrices.  High risks go to CAB; medium risks are a toss up; low risk is local authority (general rules).

HTH,
AJS

Anthony J. Santucci
Manager, Service Management