From: The EDUCAUSE Google Apps Constituent Group Listserv [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Rita Schnepp
Sent: Wednesday, January 04, 2017 4:13 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [GOOGLEAPPS] G-Suite for Alumni (securing the first password)

At Pepperdine University we are creating Google G-Suite Accounts in the Google Domain (not our Pepperdine.edu domain) which will be used by our alumni after they graduate.  (We are calling it our "Pepperdine Alumni G-Suite Service")

How do we securely get our Alumni that first password to their new Google Alumni account (at Google), without having it sent to them in  "clear text."   (note, we don't want anything that talks to our Pepperdine active directory, we prefer having this first password-hand-off happen away from our AD).

Do any of you know the name of an application or tool at Google that can accomplish this (again, doesn't send them that first, account activation password in clear text)?

or

Do any of you know of a third party application (that does not need to talk to our active directory) that would be easy for us and the students to use to accomplish this?  Like a ridiculously easy PGP application (am I dreaming?)

I will bet some of you folks out there are already offering a service like this to your students.  Would love to hear from you.  Thanks!!

Rita

--

Rita Schnepp, PMP, Director, IT Project Management Office

​Pepperdine University​