+1 to all the reasons Nick put.
Manager, Cloud Services
University Information Technology Services
[log in to unmask]
On Jan 3, 2017, at 08:55, Nick Young <[log in to unmask]> wrote:********** Participation and subscription information for this EDUCAUSE Constituent Group discussion list can be found at http://www.educause.edu/John --We have Canvas as our official LMS and we do not have Google Classroom enabled, and currently there's a few reasons for that.
- We fully support Canvas and integrate it automatically with our SIS (Banner)
- We do not want to encourage the use of a separate LMS-like service that is not sync'd with SIS data (ie: teachers would need to keep up with their own rosters on a daily basis to ensure compliance with FERPA and other policies)
- We are making in-roads to integrate Google Groups, Team Drive etc with our SIS feed, which would sync enrollments correctly
- Google Classroom is not an LMS (according to Google's own statements) and so we've seen it (for now at least) as a service that is perfect for those institutions that don't already have a strong LMS offering available.
- We see value in having students have a consistent LMS experience across all their courses, and so we dont want to encourage the use of Google Classroom for some courses and Canvas for others.That's the basics at least.Incidentally, my group (Cloud Collaboration and Productivity Services) is responsible for Canvas and G Suite (and a bunch of other things too).Happy New Year!--Nick
********** Participation and subscription information for this EDUCAUSE Constituent Group discussion list can be found at http://www.educause.edu/