To the point, when asking “Is YouTube auto-generated captioning good enough?”, I would ask “Good enough for what?”

In short, when you’re dealing with unscripted dialogue, conversations, Q&A, lectures, etc., you need a professional transcription service to make the captions accessible. When dealing with a prepared statement or a script with no deviation, if the speaker speaks in a level monotone, with no “uhm” or “uhh”, you just might get away with a mechanical caption. But in such cases, you may already have access to the prepared statement or script, so making the transcription available as a separate file may just be enough.

Raul

Raul Burriel | Streaming Media Coordinator

Academic Technology | Oregon State University

541-737-4546 | [log in to unmask] | @rburriel