Amy, several of our campuses in UT System have SiteImprove and seem to be happy with it. 5 of our 6 health institutions are live and two of our academic campuses have it going. A third one is using WorldSpace from Deque.  Here t System Admin we are in process in acquiring it.

Margaret (Marg) Knox          The University of Texas System

Executive Director, Systemwide IT (SWIS)

Austin, Texas, 78701

From: The EDUCAUSE IT Accessibility Constituent Group Listserv [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Rovner, Amy
Sent: Wednesday, February 1, 2017 1:00 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ITACCESS] captioning prioritization

Thank you Sue!

I'm having trouble turning off the mute in the call so I'm writing what I wanted to share:

The 34 community and technical colleges in WA state are working together to come into compliance with ADA, 504, etc. including captioning (a state contract with 3 Play Media) as well as all of our IT.

At Shoreline Community College, we are working toward Universal Design concepts beyond accommodations, we are committed and have captioned all public-facing videos and then reaching out to faculty that we know have a lot of video content online and starting with them.

However, we are working on an Accessibility Policy for the campus right now and it will state that all videos created after ---- date will be required to be captioned. For now the funding source has been our eLearning Services office but budgets are shifting now so I am currently applying for funds from Administration for captioning and accessible IT.  RE: Captioning priorities - it's definitely a challenge.  We have been working on a priority list for captioning the backlog of videos.  We have decided to start with the classes that are highest impact - ie - touches the most students.  Mainly these are our 101 level courses, required courses, etc.  THe hardest part is that faculty videos are kept in Panopto, YouTube, Vimeo, etc. so we don't have a way to really assess how much video is out there to be captioned.

For services - we use 3Play Media and our lecture capture system - Panopto.  Panopto has just added ACR captions which are surprisingly good so far - much better than YouTube ACR.  I have included funding for hourly student employees to help faculty correct the ACR in the next year so we'll see how that goes.

We are currently looking into SiteImprove for assessing our websites.  Hoping that our Communications and Marketing team will be able to fund it.  Any feedback re: this service is appreciated!

Thank you!

Amy

Amy Rovner, MPH RD

eLearning Instructional Designer