We have been using a product called Miradore for a couple of years, which is based out of either Iceland or Finland so the biggest drawback is being able to talk to a support person, they’re generally asleep or at least off work during our usual business hours (EST) and they only operate 9-5 their time, so we have to post a ticket and wait for a response the next day (or three!) Other than that, it’s not a bad system and is reasonably priced. We also use Apple’s Device Enrollment Program (DEP) and import a csv file generated from DEP into Miradore to populate the db. We used to push out some apps to the students iPads using Miradore, but no longer do that. We are hoping to move to Jamf for next spring as it’s considered the best of breed plus it does Macs and is the only “official” partner MDM Apple recognizes so you know it will be updated regularly as Apple releases new versions. More expensive than Miradore, but I think it’ll be worth it, particularly because it manages both iOS and OS devices.

We have about 350 iPads of various flavors (Pros, Minis, some Airs) currently in Miradore and they are all used as student loaners. Our faculty apply online to participate in the iPad program before the end of a semester for the following semester and we lend the iPads to students for the entirety of a semester, usually one class per faculty applicant. We usually have more faculty apply than we have iPads to lend so some faculty come away disappointed. The staff person that managed this for us just left the college for another position less than a month ago so my Instructional Technology Coordinator and I are picking up the pieces and trying to get organized to do the “big collection” this week and next before all the students leave for the holidays.

As far as the Apple ID question, I believe we just used a generic departmental email ([log in to unmask]) as the Apple ID and make sure the students turn off “Find my iPad”, log out of iTunes and iCloud and disable any password or touch ID they may have been using before returning the units to us. We made a short two minuet video showing that process we send them or have the faculty post to their Canvas course site. Once we get them back, we wipe them completely so they’re back to the “out of the box” state for the next semester. Biggest lesson learned is establish a good database for your inventory and track the comings and goings well, particularly when one has to go back to Apple for repair and they end up sending you a new one, remember to record those types of things. We have been finding some discrepancies in our serial numbers and attribute it to the former staff member’s so-so record keeping in that regard. Also, make sure that the students (or faculty) go through all the log out procedures or you’ll have to contact Apple and go through hoops in order to get them ‘unlocked” because someone is still logged in or didn’t remove their 4 or 4 digit passcode.

Hope that helps, good luck and I’d also be willing to chat offline if you’d like.

Kent Barclay

Associate Dean of Academic Technology

Endicott College

376 Hale St.