What good are policies without an organized way to develop and promulgate them?

Good morning colleagues,

Cornell University has been successfully managing a single, centralized institution-wide process for developing, promulgating, and maintaining administrative policy and procedure documents for almost thirty years. Many educational institutions  and companies have taken the lead from us when evaluating and establishing their own processes for reviewing, approving, and managing institutional policies.

Each year at Cornell, we conduct a small (20-30 participants) seminar that explores the critical success factors for beginning and maintaining a robust, institutional, centralized policy function. Over the years, this day-and-a-half, hands-on seminar has seen attendance by Ivy League institutions, community colleges, state systems, small and large institutions, medical colleges, business schools, government agencies, corporations, and secondary educational entities.

This year, I have asked Michele Gross, from the University of Minnesota, to join me to co-lead the seminar. We will have writing policy-sessions, presentations about the tools used by our peers, and roundtables by subject matter and process experts. It's coming quickly, this September, at the Statler Hotel on our beautiful campus in Ithaca, NY.  We'd love for you to join us!  See Cornell's Policy Office at www.policy.cornell.edu<http://www.policy.cornell.edu>. More information on September's program is available at https://www.sce.cornell.edu/ps/policy/index.php.

Josh Adams

Joshua Adams, Director
University Policy Office and DFA Communications
Cornell University
341 Pine Tree Road
Ithaca, NY 14850

p: 607.255.8279