Good morning,

I love the quote as well from Pat Riley! I am digging into the book now.

Here at Morgan State in Baltimore, MD, we are on the beginning legs of our
ITIL journey.  We have been working on continual service improvement but it
really is focusing on getting the basics started such as a service catalog,
internal documentation, change management process, collecting metrics, and
using metrics to help make decisions (at a very beginning level).  We have
looked at the Gartner Maturity model recently to assess ourselves as a
division, as well, so we will see if we might get a CSI register of sorts
out of that.

Quite honestly, so much is changing right now with how we do things,
improvement is sort of baked into everything because things are just
getting better as a result of changing our methods and questioning "how it
always has been done."  So while we are improving it's almost like the
improvement isn't the focus--we are just trying to catch up with the rest
of the world.  :)  But we are improving!  If that makes sense.

I would love to see a CSI register here.  I am not sure we are mature
enough yet.  There is a project for an internal wiki that is happening this
summer.  I am hopeful we can use that tool to begin at least a list of
improvements on a wiki page we could tackle in a systematic way instead of
"accidental" improvements happening as we look at our problem areas.  In
other words, we have so much we can improve that anything we tackle causes
really big wins right now.  I would like to see our improvement turn into a
written strategy with a roadmap so we can focus on strategic continual
improvement.  We'll get there.

I love Bob Black from Miami of OH's stand-up meeting and screen shot
example where folks on the team can see all the projects.  I love that they
meet quickly to tackle roadblocks and get them out into the air with a
KANBAN approach.  We have something here called the daily huddle phone call
for the whole IT division (and anyone in campus IT can join).  It is a
great communication tool but I have mixed feelings about it because I wish
more people would hold meetings to get some projects work dealt with
instead of having a long discussion on our huddle.   I am going to talk
about a standup meeting every week for my Service Desk and how we might be
able to implement something like what Bob does in the future!  Great food
for thought!!

Andrea

Andrea Tanner, M.S.
Assistant Director of Client Services