Hi Mike,

If you have a Gartner Account – Gartner has a sample RFP that you may be able to obtain (depends on subscription level).  We worked from that.  Augmenting was easier that creating from scratch.

In some cases, we did restrict the responses to a selection that we hoped would force the vendors to be honest.  I don’t recall the choices specifically, but the general idea was:

1.       <Functionality X> works out of the box with no configuration

2.       <Functionality X> works out of the box  - configuration required

3.       <Functionality X> is possible with custom development or professional services

4.       <Functionality X> is not currently possible

Helped combat the typical sales response of “Sure, you can do that!”, which may mask the fact that ‘sure, you can do it – but it requires 20 hours of professional services time’ – or ‘sure, you can do that – once we release version X.X (9 months from now) where that item is currently slated on the roadmap . . .’

As Bob mentioned, licensing model is important – especially if you utilize student staff.  Cherwell has a concurrent license model, which was a big deciding factor for us.

Being prepared on the business process side can really reduce the implementation time and keep costs down, so be sure to allocate enough resources and time on your end to understand your services and processes.  If you are converting from an existing tool, this may be a non-issue, but if you are just starting down the ITSM road – there may be a good deal of work to do here prior to implementing a tool.  Don’t let the tool selection process distract from that work – it is important. ☺

Think about what you want from a self-service perspective and be sure to build those into your requirements (Responsive Portal? Accessibility?  Will you want non-authenticated access to knowledge that is Google-searchable?  Do you want chat capability?).  You might also want to think about your field techs and what they need.  Will they need a robust mobile app to support field work?

Other considerations:

-          Reporting

-          Dashboards

-          Business process automation (and ease of maintenance)

-          Integrations

-          Are “modules” priced separately (a la carte) or are they included with the purchase price?

Some thoughts to get you started.  Good luck!

Marie DiRuzza
Director, IT Service & Support
Information Technology Services | its.wpi.edu<http://its.wpi.edu/>
Worcester Polytechnic Institute