I would agree with Bob. I would shy away from bogging it down in deep
process information as most of the tools handle the basics pretty well.
Focus on what is a game changer or show stopper for your area.  As an
example, are you going to be able to get everyone headed a common direction
on a single tool, or will the ability to integrate with key groups and
their tools going to be important.

 Keep in mind that licensing (or subscriptions in many situations) are
different across platforms as well as within functionality of the same
platform.  One module might be based on head count and another might be
based on device or IP address and yet another might be based on number of
vendors.  If nothing else, be reallly clear about what your organization
can realistically accomplish (and needs to accomplish) within the next 3-5
years.  This will help you hone in on the class of tool you need and often
clarifies if you are looking for a strong "ticket system" or more of a full
spectrum system to manage business operations.

Andrea

Visit the ITSM wiki at https://sites.google.com/a/educause.edu/educause-wiki-site/itsm.