The litigation hold approach is what we do.  With about 50k accounts doing a traditional backup seems daunting.

From: The EDUCAUSE Cloud Computing Constituent Group Listserv <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Donald Ambrose <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wednesday, August 8, 2018 8:10:01 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [CLOUD] Backup Solution for O365 Mailboxes

Good Morning,

We have around 1000 student and 300 employees  mailboxes in O365.I was wondering if any institution is using a pure backup solution to back up their O365 mailboxes? We have been told by various vendors that the litigation hold feature in O365 can be leveraged as a backup option, in that case do we still need a backup solution, is it best practice? Is this the way forward with O365?Looking at the cost of pure backup solutions, is anyone going this route?

Please advise if any vendor or product that has performed well and is cost effective as a backup solution.

Thanks

Donald Ambrose Network Administrator

Canadian Memorial Chiropractic College

6100 Leslie Street, Toronto, ON M2H 3J1