There is a trend in the industry toward “Enterprise Service Management”.  ITIL concepts can easily extend to business practices beyond IT.  HR and Facilities are the most common areas where I see this extension.  Many ITSM tools like ServiceNow and Cherwell have created add-on modules to support HR or Facilities Management.

There can be some benefit to having multiple business units using the same tool. (Cost savings, pooling resources, reduced overhead, etc.)

I guess I would ask – what is your major concern about the project sponsors wanting to learn more about the possibility of using a consolidated toolset?

If it is out of scope of the project, then that might be your best line of defense (assuming you have a solid scope defined).

Thank you,

Marie DiRuzza

Director, IT Service & Support

Information Technology Services | its.wpi.edu

Worcester Polytechnic Institute

508-831-6042 (O) 508-723-4755 (M)